Trusting God Even When Life Hurts
OK, so I have a confession. I'm a book nerd who tweets through books I love. 💜💜 Can't help it. I'm probably breaking all sorts of copyright laws.😬 Keep thinking most people don't like to read and therefore need a synopsis of the best quotes from my favorite books, so I happily engage in enabling them to maintain their lazy habit. (Before you lazy book-avoiders start scrambling to find my Twitter handle, I'll just leave it here: @crazyjmom. Have at it!)
One of the books which has impacted me the most this year is one by Jerry Bridges
called "Trusting God Even When Life Hurts." I read this gem days after my Daddy passed away last January, and plan on reading it every January from now on. Why? Because I need to be reminded of the wonderful biblical truths inside which helped start the difficult journey of healing in my grieving process.
Tragedy and suffering is inevitable for everyone in this lifetime. Nobody is immune to it. But how we trudge through these seasons, as believers in Christ, inevitably reveals how much we are trusting in a sovereign God who knows better than us. Believing in the sovereignty of God and acting on this belief are vastly different. Had to walk through the difficult process of transferring my head knowledge and surfacy, naive trust to a deep, vulnerable position in my heart. God allows pain for His glory and my good. I didn't fully understand this until reading this book. I'll leave you with some of my favorite quotes in hopes you'll grab a copy for yourself and one for a hurting friend:
• Because His love cannot fail, He will allow into our lives only the pain & heartache that is for our ultimate good.
• Confidence in the sovereignty of God in ALL that affects us is crucial to our trusting Him.
• Whatever our particular calamity or adversity may be, we may be sure that our Father has a loving purpose in it.
• In the arena of adversity, the Scriptures teach us three essential truths about God — truths we must believe if we are to trust Him in adversity. They are: God is completely sovereign. God is infinite in wisdom. God is perfect in love.
• There is no agonizing by God, no hoping He has made the right decision, no wondering what is really best for us. God makes no mistakes.
• An unreserved trust of God, when we don't understand what is happening or why, is the only road to peace and comfort and joy.
• To question God's wisdom is spiritually debilitating, besmirching God's glory and depriving ourselves of the comfort and peace that comes by trusting Him.
• If we are to experience peace in times of adversity, we must truly believe God's ways are simply beyond us & stop asking why.